Home

Mines mired in controversy are the most attractive

Leave a comment

In the coming e-auctions of cancelled but operational coal blocks, the ones with most controversy are likely to witness the stiffest fight from bidders.

From the seven operational blocks allocated to the power sector, Gare Palma-IV/2 & IV/3 and Talabira-1 stand out as the most attractive. in Chhattisgarh has the largest amount of reserves; Talabira, in Odisha, boasts of ready infrastructure and close proximity to evacuation facilities.

However, Gare Palma was earlier owned by Jindal Steel & Power and Talabira was with Hindalco. Both companies are being probed for irregularities in award of blocks.

“Legal cases against the promoters notwithstanding, these two blocks are the best of all. We would see new players with mining expertise contesting hard with the original owners, who’d make the most of the second chance to get their lost mines back,” said a power sector expert.

Experts said new entrants such as Sterlite Energy, Essar, GVK and Larsen & Toubro are the ones to watch. “These companies have technical capabilities and ready infrastructure to put to use the mined coal. They would compete hard for getting an operational block,” said an industry executive.

Gare Palma is part of a cluster of four mines in Chhattisgarh owned by JSPL which are under litigation. The charges against JSPL are of criminal conspiracy, excess mining and selling to a third party from the captive block. By the Supreme Court’s directive, JSPL would also pay the highest amount of penalty, close to Rs 3,000 crore, for its four cancelled blocks.

Read more

Courtesy: Business Standard

Advertisements

Has govt restored powers to acquire land under 1894 Act?

Leave a comment

NEW DELHI: The Union cabinet’s decision to bring a land acquisition ordinance within a year of enactment of the law raises a question whether the government has restored its powers to acquire land as enshrined in the Land Acquisition Act, 1894

The UPA government had come up with the Right to Fair Compensation and Transparency in Rehabilitation and Resettlement Act from January 1, 2014 which gave district collectors the power to acquire land under emergency clause only for defence, national security and situation arising out of a disaster and that too after Parliament’s approval.

The law was opposed by most of the state governments, including Congress-ruled, on the ground that mandatory consent clause and social impact assessment (SIA) were delaying land acquisition and hampering economic growth. The states had found that their power to acquire land had been diluted under the new law.

Agreeing with the state governments, the Union cabinet on Monday exempted five broad sectors — national security/ defence, rural infrastructure, affordable housing, industrial corridors and Public Private Partnership projects — from mandatory consent and SIA.

“Without having a discussion, the government has diluted the new land acquisition law and has taken it closer to the earlier law of 1894 which is very unfortunate,” said planning commission former member in-charge of rural development Mihir Shah.

Farmer groups termed the ordinance as “retrograde” saying that the land-owners will not have the right to say “no” to land acquisition even if it is being acquired for an industrial corridor or for setting up a project in a public private partnership mode.

“The ordinance will lead to forced acquisition of land as two provisions (consent clause and SIA) central to addressing the issue and resulting impoverishment to the communities has been done away with,” said a statement issued by National Alliance of People’s Movement on behalf of various civil society groups.

Courtesy: hindustantimes

“Ordinance to change Land Acquisition Act is murder of Democracy under corporate rule of Modi Government”

Leave a comment

Ordinance on land act unconstitutional and anti-people, people’s movements to organise against its passage in parliament, every forced acquisition on ground will face stiff resistance

A statement by National Alliance of People’s movements (NAPM) & Lok Shakti Abhiyan,

Bhubaneswar (Press Statement/30th Dec 14): Yesterday Cabinet decision approving the Ordinance amending the Land Acquisition Act 2013, even before the law has been actually implemented on the ground is completely unacceptable and reminds us of the anti-democratic and authoritarian streak of this government. In six months of its existence NDA government has already used the Ordinance route three times.

We fail to understand what the Emergency is at this moment that, NDA government has to take the Ordinance route. This is only being done as a measure to benefit the Corporate Houses and nothing else. 20 Lakh Crore investments are not stuck because of the new land act, since the law has only been in existence for one year.

The land acquisition act, 1894 was amended precisely to resolve the conflict due to forcible land acquisition, give farmers their due and meet the needs of the industrial development. Today’s decision will only increase that conflict since large scale forcible land acquisition for the industrial corridors will benorm, Delhi Mumbai Industrial Corridor alone has plan for acquisition of3,90,000 Hectares of land. Industrial Corridors, big infrastructure projects, dams etc cause the maximum displacement and environmental damage and the new land Act was to address situations arising out of that. Read more

Courtesy: India Resists

Modi Government Changes Land Acquisition Rules By Emergency Order

Leave a comment

The Narendra Modi-government today decided to ease the land acquisition process through an emergency order, in a move meant to accelerate stalled projects worth billions of dollars.

“The changes in Land Acquisition Act have been done after extensive consultations with states,” Finance Minister Arun Jaitley said while announcing the decision.

Jaitley said the rules will be relaxed for acquisition of land in five areas—defence purposes, rural infrastructure, affordable housing and housing projects for the poor, industrial corridors, and infrastructure or social infrastructure projects, including those in public-private projects in which ownership of land will remain with the government.

While the compensation will remain high as per the act, and rehabilitation and resettlement will be followed, the procedure for acquiring land for these projects will be easier by omitting steps like social impact assessment, impact on food security, and consent of 80 per cent land owners, he added.

NDTV reported that the governments plans to clear the ordinance by the next parliamentary session in February.

The Land Acquisition Rehabilitation and Resettlement Act, 2013, which was enacted under the Manmohan Singh government, requires 70 percent of the land-owning community to give consent to allow acquisition for public-private partnership projects. Eighty percent consent is required for private sector projects.

Public-private partnership projects account for 60 percent of the stalled projects worth Rs18 lakh crore in rail, steel, mining and roads, the Business Standard Read more

Courtesy: The Huffington Post

उत्तराखंड मे प्रदेश की खनन नीति रद्द

Leave a comment

खनन निजी क्षेत्र को नहीं: हाईकोर्ट
उत्तराखंड हाईकोर्ट ने प्रदेश खनन नीति 2011 (संशोधित मार्च 2013) को खारिज कर दिया है। इसमें निजी हाथों में खनन के पट्टे देने का प्रावधान किया गया था। कोर्ट ने कहा कि खनन कार्य निजी हाथों में नहीं दिया जा सकता है। मामले की सुनवाई न्यायमूर्ति सुधांशु धूलिया एवं न्यायमूर्ति सर्वेश कुमार गुप्ता की खंडपीठ के समक्ष हुई।
बाजपुर निवासी रंजीत सिंह गिल ने उच्च न्यायालय में जनहित याचिका दायर कर सरकार की ओर से खनन नीति 2011 को चुनौती दी थी। याचिका में कहा गया था कि केंद्र सरकार की ओर से वन विकास निगम को दाबका नदी में खनन का पट्टा दिया गया था। नियमानुसार केवल वन विकास निगम ही खनन कार्य कर सकता है लेकिन वन विकास निगम ने शर्तों के उल्लंघन में इसका उप-पट्टा कर दिया। इसके अलावा यह भारतीय वन अधिनियम 1927 व वन संरक्षण अधिनियम 1980 का भी उल्लंघन है.।

पन्ना मे स्थानीय आदिवासियों ने कलेक्टर एवं वन विभाग के अधिकारियों को सौपा पत्र

Leave a comment

बहेरा ग्राम मे पुश्तो से बसे हुये आदिवासी जिनको वन अधिकार कानून के अंतर्गत पट्टे के लिए दिये गए थे। उनको जबरन वहाँ से हटाया जा रहा है। स्थानीय आदिवासियों का कहना है कि भूमि अधिकार पत्र आदिवासियो को सौपा जाय। यदि ऐसा नही होता है तो आदिवासियो को मजबूरन प्रशासन के विरुद्ध आंदोलन करना पड़ेगा। ग्रामीणो का कहना है कि सभी ग्रामवासी भूमिहीन एवं आवासहीन है। तथा बिना कोई सूचना दिये वन अमले द्वारा हटाये जाने की कार्यवाही की जा रही है। इस आशय का ज्ञापन लेकर कलेक्टर को दिया जा रहा है। ज्ञापन सौपने वालों मे सज्जू आदिवासी, हरीलाल गौड़, अखिलेश आदिवासी छोटा, राधा, रामदीन, जयंती, रामकली, द्रौपदी, कविता, शीला, मेनबाई, सकुनबाइ, महंती, नीमबाई, रामनरेश, प्रियाबई, जीवनलाल, सिया, अमर कुमार, मस्तराम, बाटा, मटरतान, बसंता सहित बड़ी संख्या मे आदिवासी समाज एवं पुरुष तथा बच्चे शामिल रहे। इसके साथ ही समाजसेवी युसुफबेग तथा कांग्रेसी नेता अनीष खान ज्ञापन कार्यक्रम मे उपस्थित रहे।

प्रमुख समाचार लिंक

उजाड़े जा रहे आदिवासियों के घरोंदे

कड़कड़ाती ठंड मे आदिवासियों के घरोंदे उजाड़े जा रहे

कड़कड़ाती ठंड मे उजाड़े जा रहे आदिवासियों के घरोंदे

कड़ाके की ठंड मे उजाड़े जा रहे आदिवासियों के घरोंदे

वन अधिकार के अंतर्गत दिलाये जाए भूमि अधिकार पत्र

शिविर लग रहे, मरीज नहीं मिल रहे

Leave a comment

कोटा। बूंदी जिले के बरड़ में दो साल से चिकित्सा विभाग हर माह दो शिविर लगा रहा है। इन शिविरों में रोगी भी आ रहे हैं। कई टीबी रोगी पाए जा रहे हैं और उन्हें इलाज भी दिया जा रहा है। इतनी बड़ी संख्या में रोगी आने के बावजूद किसी को सिलिकोसिस की पहचान नहीं हो सकी है।

असल में प्रक्रिया के तहत इन शिविरों में आने वाले किसी रोगी को यदि सिलिकोसिस की आशंका हो तो संबंधित डॉक्टर उस रोगी को कोटा मेडिकल कॉलेज के न्यूमिकोनोसिस बोर्ड के पास रैफर करते हैं, लेकिन बीते साल में इन शिविरों से एक या दो रोगी ही रैफर किए गए हैं।

जबकि इस अवधि में करीब बीस शिविर लगाए जा चुके और 500 से ज्यादा रोगियों का उपचार भी किया जा चुका। यहां से रैफर नहीं किए जाने के चलते खुद रोगी ही कोटा आकर बोर्ड के समक्ष पेश हो रहे हैं और इनमें से कई को सिलिकोसिस के लक्षण भी पाए गए हैं। हालांकि इन्हें सिलिकोसिस का प्रमाणपत्र नहीं मिल पाया है। विस्तार से देखें

सौजन्य से: राजस्थान पत्रिका

Older Entries